07 March 2007

location of a state schema.


Holy shit.
Originally uploaded by tokyohanna.
I have been wanting to write about this for a week and a half, and now I finally can. You see, I have a pen pal in Quebec named Julie. We are painfully similar, and I wrote to her about this almost as it happened, and wanted her to be the first person to read about it. She has gotten the letter, and now I can share with the rest of the world.

If you're into this kind of thing, you will have heard about the current Jeff Wall exhibit at the MoMA. Well, I didn't know about it when I went to the museum last month (my recent move temporarily screwed up my member newsletters). I wandered to the 6th floor and saw that there was a members-only preview of the exhibit that was to open the following day. Guys, this thing hit me like a truck. The first thing I saw when I walked in was The Destroyed Room. You may recognize it from the recent Sonic Youth album cover:



The photographs were color transparencies in light boxes. absolutely breathtaking and gorgeous. As I stood in front of A Sudden Gust of Wind, I experienced a state schema. It was dark, the HUGE photograph was glowing at me, there was a murmur of fellow MoMA members walking around slowy, and the opening track of Benoit Pioulard's recent album (Précis) was playing. It was so powerful and everything aligned so well that I was nearly moved to tears. It was one of the best ones yet.

I will be returning to the exhibit this weekend with the visiting Dylan Trees. Hopefully he will be willing to see Comic Abstraction too, since it was still being worked on at that point (and is now open).

Guys, go see Jeff Wall's lightboxes. The MoMA is free on Fridays.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...